The Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement (IRSSA) was an agreement between the government of Canada and approximately 86,000 Aboriginal Canadians removed from their families as children and placed in the Canadian Indian residential school system. The IRSSA recognized the damage inflicted by the residential schools and established a $2 billion compensation package for the victims. The agreement, announced in 2006, was the largest class action settlement in Canadian history.
- Individuals who attended Federal Indian Residential Schools as Day Scholars have just under six months to submit a claim for compensation May 18, 2023
- Individuals who attended Federal Indian Residential Schools as Day Scholars can apply for a $10,000 compensation payment October 4, 2022
- Claims process now open for Indian Residential Schools Day Scholars January 5, 2022
- Representative Plaintiffs in the Residential Schools Day Scholar Class Action react to Federal Court approval of settlement agreement October 5, 2021
- Watch the residential schools day scholar class action September 3, 2021